Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rewarding

I wish I had been born with a "yellow"personality. You know, according to the revered "Color Code" personality test, this is the fun-loving personality that allows people to be spontaneous and see the joy in everything. Sometimes I wish to throw off my shackles of responsibility and duty without the accompanying guilt of my "blue" personality.
I had an small, albeit depressing, epiphany today at work. In many areas of life, at least my life, when you are responsible and do a great job, you get rewarded....with more responsibility and more work.

Yep. Just once I would like to have someone say "Nice job...why don't you take a week off?" or "Hey, here's a bonus for all those extra hours you put in at work." or "Why don't we put all the above-grade- level students who behave perfectly in your class for a year to give you a break" or "Why don't you be the assistant hymn-book coordinator?"

Don't get me wrong - it's nice to feel needed, to know that someone has confidence that you will do a difficult or challenging job well. Just sayin' that once in awhile, I want a real reward. You know, I should be careful I don't "reward" my hard-working students with MORE work. Hmmmm. Something to think about.

No comments: