Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bittersweet

I said goodbye today to someone who is a friend and colleague, and I've been feeling the finality of that all day. I have spent most workdays sitting about 4 feet away from him, training with him, working on projects with him, asking for his help, and sharing verbal sparring matches. My heart hurts.

Next week I will be saying a lot of goodbyes at my current workplace, BrainStorm. I get too attached to people and places. I know that. It is why I usually stay at a job for a long time and like to live in the same area I've always lived in. Yet I also crave change - just a little bit of change. That's why I buy a lot of clothes (well, one of the reasons) and get a new hairdo every few months. But, like a year-and-a-half ago, I am about to experience a big change once again in my professional life.

I will be starting school with a first grade class in South Jordan on November 10. They need a teacher and I need to feel needed again. I need to be able to wake up every day and go to work in a place where my talents and professional abilities are appreciated and respected. I need to feel like I know how to do my job and do it well. I need loving children to put their arms around me every day and tell me how glad they are that I am their teacher and that I am at school.

My heart is full when I think of all the children in my past career who have loved me and who I have loved. And all the wonderful friends I have made along the way - goodbye is not for always. Only for a time.

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

Yet another chapter in the book. This one will be full of adventure...I can already tell it.

Never stop writing...