On a Monday a week ago, my nephew, Peter, was born. He is a beautiful baby - well, what I can tell from the couple of pictures I've seen. I now have 12 amazing nieces and nephews. They are each beautiful and unique in their own way and I love them dearly. A few years ago, when I had only one niece to spoil, someone asked me what I thought it would be like to be a mother. I have never had children of my own, you see. In trying to imagine it, I thought of how I felt about that sweet niece of mine and was overwhelmed by how much I loved her - I couldn't imagine the strength of love a mother must have for her children. Amazing how with each new child, your heart grows to be able to love them all.
On Monday of this week, a beautiful little first-grade girl died of cancer. Her time on this earth was over much sooner than any of her loved ones would have wished. I don't really know her. But I know and love her Aunt Kirsten. I remember crying with Kirsten last fall when it was discovered that 5-year-old Mara had cancer. I could not truly understand how her aunt, much less her mom and dad, must feel. But I could imagine it. I imagined what it would feel like to have my little niece, who was the same age, be diagnosed with cancer, and my heart was wrenched.
Tonight I am imagining what it would feel like to lose to death one of the precious children who belong to my family. I am intensely grateful that they are all healthy and well.
No one but God knows the length of our lives. There is hope in knowing that our families can be together forever and that death is not the end for our loved ones. But there is also grief and pain in a child whose presence is gone from our lives for a time. I am crying tonight not for Mara, but for her family and loved ones. I can only imagine what they must be feeling. Mara's Story
1 comment:
I just read Mara's story and am in tears. It is one of my biggest fears that something like that will happen to my two girls.
Post a Comment