Friday, January 16, 2009

Live in the Moment

First graders are great at living in the moment. I have been on recess duty this week, which basically involves wandering around the playground in the freezing cold, watching over about 100 6 and 7 year olds. I can see why all kids say that their favorite school subject is "recess". They run and shout and make up games and hang all over the playground equipment. They swing and slide and laugh. Every single one of them enjoys that 15 minutes to it's fullest. 

Today I was reminded why I didn't become a nurse. One of my students had a terrible bloody nose that bled all over him and my sink and the floor, etc. With my rubber gloves on, and trying not to think of what I was doing, I had to mop him up, then clean up after him. But the amazing thing was that after lunch he came from recess, happy as can be, saying that today was "the best day". The lunch ladies, hearing of his nose incident, gave him two lunches. And he got to wear a school t-shirt because his sweatshirt was not wearable anymore. 

Wow. I was still thinking about the bloody nose from an hour before, feeling drained and tired from my day. I realized that I need to make more of an effort to enjoy little moments and let go of burdens.

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

Glad you were okay...must have been pretty traumatic.