Saturday, January 31, 2009

What Really Matters

Today a fire began in the house I grew up in. After talking about it with my parents and all my siblings, I still sit here trying to process it and it doesn't feel real. My sister, Melissa, lives there with her husband and two little boys. Her husband was at work at noon today when she smelled and saw black smoke in the utility room next to her kitchen. She took her sons and the phone outside and called 911. By the time the fire trucks made it there 15 minutes later (the house is in Spanish Fork Canyon, at least 10 minutes from any fire department), much of one end of the house had burned, and smoke was pouring out all over (this is from my sister - I wasn't there). 

Later, my sister and brother-in-law were allowed into their boys' room to get some clothes and diapers - that was the only part of the house they could access. We have heard that the inside is pretty gutted. Melissa and Alex lost pretty much everything they own. My parents lost a lot, including their 3 cats, newly remodeled kitchen, a table my grandpa made for my mom years ago, all mom's plants, the computer, and photo albums. We don't know the extent of the damage yet. My parents are in Arizona but are coming back to Utah on Monday to deal with everything. 

I spent a couple of hours with Melissa and her family at a Carl's Jr. They were on their way to Alex's parents' house in Woodland Hills. Luckily, Melissa and I are about the same size so she can wear my clothes. I was so grateful to be with my sweet family members. I was, and am, very aware that I could be mourning the loss of family members right now instead of just the loss of my childhood home. There is much to be grateful for. So much of what we value in this life can be gone in an instant. I am going to try to appreciate what I have more. And especially, hold fast to my family. 

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

I'm glad you can 'see' what is truly important. I am so sorry about the fire though...