Friday, June 5, 2009

Laughter & Tears

Life is rarely all good or all bad. For the most part, we have moments of both interwoven together. As I drove to school this morning, I was listening to music and thinking about the upcoming weekend and how difficult it will be to go to my grandma's funeral. I will also be saying goodbye to her home - it is going to be sold. One more thing for me to learn to let go of.

So I walked into work with my heart already hurting and tears in my eyes. Then came.... the kindergarten program. Now, this is probably not like any kindergarten program you've ever seen. It's certainly more of an elaborate production than I've ever seen 5 and 6 year-olds tackle. My colleagues had told me this was an assembly where ear plugs would be advisable. I thought this meant that the singing would be off-key or horrible. No. It meant that all 100 kids in the program pretty much yelled their songs at the top of their lungs. The songs were great - and the kids were sure enthusiastic. But for an hour the speakers were yelling into the microphone and the singers were yelling into the audience. And I was watching the faces and actions of those uninhibited kids. It was hilarious. I couldn't stop smiling.

I guess we take the bad with the good. So much of this life is bittersweet. Even with a broken heart, you can still laugh.

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

Good advice, now we just need to follow it...