Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Truly the Best Grandma


This is about one of the most beautiful, graceful women I know. My grandma has been ready to return "home" to the spirit world to be with her sweetheart for quite a few years now. She has all her affairs in order and she has been slowly giving away her possessions each time one of her children or grandchildren comes to visit.

She suffered a stroke yesterday and is not very coherent. My cousin, who is a hospice nurse, is caring for her and said that all she can understand of what my grandma is saying is "I don't know what to do...". I was thinking about this today and I hoped that she is not feeling tethered to this life by her loved ones here. She has so many in heaven waiting for her, and I want her to know that what she should do is go to be with them. I have often jokingly told her that she can't die yet - not until I'm married. I want to have children who know her as I have known her. And I will never have that. But now, more than anything, I want her to be happy. I don't want to hold her here for selfish reasons. But I wish I could!

I don't know how much longer she has on this earth. I don't think it is long. I will miss her more than I can say. She has always been my kindred spirit. When we were both younger (relatively speaking), we went swimming and shopping. We shared a love of clothes and pretty things. We shared the same temperament and love of a clean house. I could talk to her about anything.But most importantly, she has always been my cheerleader. At every opportunity she emphasized to me how special she thought I was, how much she loved me. And she has always been the one to tell me that it was OK that I haven't gotten married... that I was still young, and to just have fun. And I know she meant it! Lately we have joked that we are in the same church "designation" - single adults. (:

This is not profound. I just needed to pay tribute to a woman who has been a huge influence in my life.

1 comment:

marci said...

This made me cry... I just lost my "kindred spirit" Grandma in December. As much as I wanted to keep her here for me, I knew she needed to go to be with her husband and parents. I miss her so much but I still feel her close to me. You will be in my prayers! Love ya!