Tuesday, October 20, 2009

If You Could Hie to Kolob

Here is the much-anticipated post from my awesome weekend in St. George area. Loved it! Needed it! Wish I could have stayed longer!

If you, like me, have sung "If You Could Hie to Kolob" a few hundred times in your lifetime, you probably have a good idea of what "hie" means, from the context. So here are some highlights from a couple of great friends and I "hie-ing" to Kolob (Canyon, that is) on Saturday.

One friend savored each moment of the experience, constantly commenting on the beauty and amazing nature around us along the way, stopping often to drink it in. The other friend was focused on the destination - we were going 5 miles, so she was determined to reach that destination, to accomplish the experience. I fall somewhere in between. I try to be in the moment and I love the amazing scenery - but my nature tends a little toward focusing on the end result, or whatever is coming next. We all decided to try to live more in the moment.

The colors of the leaves were absolutely brilliant! Unfortunately, pictures can't do them justice.

Gazing at the layers of rock, and the massive, majestic presence of the rock formations in the canyon (how firm a foundation, indeed), I couldn't help but compare them to the friends walking with me. Friendship is a powerful force in our lives. There are many layers to each of us and to the relationships we have. Time-tested and true, good friends remain a "majestic presence" in our lives.

We discussed many aspects of our lives along the journey. We teased and laughed a lot. We made goals. We uplifted and supported each other. And although it began to grow dark on the hike back to the car and it was difficult to see the path ahead, it was OK because we were together.

A few additional highlights:



4 comments:

Shauna said...

Looks like you had a great time. I love your deep thoughts about friendship. The leaves around town here are brilliant right now, and I love driving around seeing them. Fall is my favorite time of year!

Kristi said...

Fun fun times! Did you cut your hair? cute!

Teachinfourth said...

Glad it was a fun trip...didn't see any photos of the ghost town; hmmm...

allison nadauld said...

I agree, friendships are so important. Glad you could enjoy some time in the beautiful outdoors. Clever title and darling hair!!