Friday, October 30, 2009

One Little Skeleton Hopping Up and Down....

OK, so the skeleton in question is not so little and at this moment is collapsed on the couch, with no energy to move, much less hop around.

How did I become a skeleton in such a state, you may ask? It all started with the other teachers on my team and I deciding to dress as typical "Halloween" things: a black cat, a vampire, a witch, a scarecrow and.... a skeleton, for the school Halloween parade today. Honestly, I didn't want to dress up like a skeleton. But all the good ideas were taken as everyone claimed something they already had a costume for. I didn't have a costume for anything in particular. So I was left with a skeleton or a pumpkin. The pumpkin sounded too boring, so I went with the skeleton, but after 3 hours of working on a costume, I began thinking longingly of an oversized orange t-shirt with a jack-0-lantern face painted on it.

I really didn't mean to wear a scary costume to school today and freak my kids out. My idea was to create a cute, friendly skeleton. I don't remember EVER being something scary for Halloween. Put all my Halloween costume pictures from past years together and you'll see an "impressive" collection of princesses, gypsies, friendly animals, witches, etc.

But then it all started to go awry when I got tired of creating foam board bones and tacking them to black clothes, and I had the great idea to wear an old, tattered dress to cover part of me so I wouldn't have to put bones there. I also thought makeup would work so much better than a mask for creating an all-day skull-like appearance. I added some winding vines to try to make my outfit "prettier" and more interesting.

This turned out to be more of a "crazy-scary-skeleton/zombie-woman-risen-from-the-grave" look - so NOT what I was going for. But by the time the makeup and all was put together this morning, I was a few minutes late to work and didn't have time to take the makeup off and redo it. At school, I had quite a few people staring, many kids commenting - and some teachers not recognizing me. It was fun but a little uncomfortable to have such a strong reaction to my appearance from everyone. I guess there's always next year to be a princess.

Just so you know, you will probably never see me looking like this EVER again. So enjoy it while it lasts.

5 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

AWESOME!

Seriously, that costume is amazing, Janelle. You did done good.

Tracy said...

Wow Janelle!! I'm seriously impressed!! I can see how it may have scared a couple of kids to see you like that though.

Kathy said...

You're amazing!

Steve and Shauna said...

What an awesome costume! You did a fabulous job! Missy and I are already planning for next year, so you'd better mark your calendar to be in Blanding. ;-)

Dallas and Kirsten said...

That's a huge difference from the Lord of the Rings princess costume from a couple years back! It's about time teachers start scaring those kids though :) I mean honestly it's Halloween! You'd be shocked to hear what I dressed up as this year...
Love and miss you!!