So every year my birthday rolls around right before Thanksgiving. This year, my birthday is on a Sunday. And, as most of you know, birthday = party/presents/friends & family/cake/general rowdiness and fun. Doesn't jive too well with a calm, peaceful Sunday, know what I mean?
However, as I sat this morning reading birthday greetings from many friends and family on Facebook, and contemplated a quiet birthday of church and.....well....just hanging out at home.... I realized that this is a great opportunity for reflection. That is a natural thing for me at this time of year. So many important days come at me in quick succession - birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day. This time of year is MADE for contemplating life and how another precious year has gone by. What have I accomplished in the past year? What is truly important in my life? What am I thankful for? (and of course, what is missing in my life? why does my age sound so old when I feel so young??....but I won't bore you with the negativity.) :P
I just read a blog someone wrote about how she loves Thanksgiving because it gives her an opportunity to remind her to think of all she is thankful for. I just realized - isn't it interesting that the season of thankfulness comes right before the season of giving? Truly being thankful SHOULD inspire us to act in a certain way.
So, I am going to list some things I am grateful for. In no particular order and by no means an exhaustive list, but one I feel compelled to "write down" while I am in this contemplative mood. Some of these I think to thank the Lord for daily in prayer, but some I haven't been overtly thankful for in awhile.
I am thankful for....
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Being born into the church. My testimony. The Book of Mormon and other scriptures. Prophets and leaders. My mission. The callings and experiences I have had over the years.
My amazing, selfless parents who support me in all I do and allow me to live in their home.
Two nephews who live close enough that I can spend lots of time with them.
A sister who lets me "steal" her kids from her sometimes and who is the kindest, most patient & loving person I know.
Times when my two sisters and I are together, enjoying each other as adults.
All of my brothers & sisters, my brothers-in-law & sisters-in-law, and their children who I love with all my heart (and miss all the time!)
How my family gets along and cares about each other and doesn't fight and bicker. All 24 of us! (well, ok, the kids bicker sometimes, but that doesn't really count).
Being a "favorite aunt" and being called "Aunt Nellie". It's the sweetest name in the world.
My many friends. But most especially those who have laughed with me, cried with me, and shared my life for many years.
Friends who are like sisters (you know who you are).
My grandparents and other relatives.
A grandma who was also one of my best friends. Who believed in me and was my confidante and cheerleader.
A roof over my head, a warm comfortable house, furniture, my bed.
Great tenants who live in my townhome, love and take care of it, and pay their rent on time.
A beautiful area to live in - (yes, I actually mean Spanish Fork).
A car that runs well (knock on wood) and gets me to and from work every day.
The ward that I belong to.
A job that is meaningful and challenging and a work day that flies by because of the fast pace of elementary school life - and the paycheck that comes with it every month.
Students who love me and who place their trust in me. It's a huge responsibility I don't always deserve.
Colleagues who are also friends.
A school that is like a "home away from home" (not just because I spend more time there during the week than I do at home, either).
Health insurance I don't have to pay for (thank you Alpine School District!).
A great, caring, down-to-earth, personable doctor.
My relatively good health.
Food to eat.
Being able to eat what I want, when I want (one perk of being single).
Shopping.
Clothes, jewelry, fun shoes, flowers, and all things "girly".
Books & movies and the freedom to read and watch what I want to.
Being able to travel.
All the people in my life who have influenced me for good.
Music, singing, dancing.
My talents and the abilities I have been blessed with.
Being able to try and experience new things.
Hugs.
Holding hands with children.
The sun.
And, yes, even the trials, heartaches, disappointments, fears, and mistakes - they have a part in making me who I am today.
I am sure I will think of more things as soon as I stop typing. But it is time to get ready for church. And enjoy my birthday.
Loves to you all! I am sure if you are reading this you are one of the many people I am thankful for!
3 comments:
You have a lot to be grateful for…I'm glad you took the time to remember it all.
Happy Birthday! I am grateful for YOU! :)
Happy birthday hottie pashottie! I hope you realize that we are all incredibly grateful for you...me especially...well, also my parents for how great of a friend you've been to me :) Love you to pieces!!
Post a Comment