Sunday, February 12, 2012

Time and Priorities

I've been thinking a lot about time lately. How there is never enough of it. How I wish I had more time to actually get ahead at work and then still have "down time" and play time. Time to clean and run errands and still have time for family and friends and church responsibilities without feeling stress.

I read a book a few years ago about managing time and prioritizing tasks. The point the author made at first is that most of us live our lives in a "putting out fires" mode. Every day, we deal with the "fires" or emergency tasks that need immediate attention because they are "due" the next day or if we don't deal with them, they will blow up in our faces. The goal is to take care of small things along the way, so they don't become "fires".

I feel like I have been living my life, for the most part, putting out fires every day. Only when one is put out, can I focus on the very next one that is ahead of me - no looking ahead, as there is not time for that.

I hate living this way, though. I feel like there is so much of life I am missing out on. I keep thinking over and over that things have got to slow down a little, or maybe I can just get ahead enough to feel on top of things so I don't feel stressed out all the time. But the more I talk to other people about this issue, the more I realize that life is just like that, unless we consciously make some changes. The truth is, there isn't enough time to do even all the good things we want to. We have to prioritize and sacrifice and make some hard decisions. Learn to say "no" sometimes, and decide what those most important things or people are that we will drop everything for no matter what. Learn when to walk away from work and not feel guilty about it. Learn to make time for exercise and scripture study and temple attendance. And some time to play.

I am working on this. Someday, maybe I can be ahead of the fires just enough to prevent them, rather than just put them out.

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

It's kind of like living paycheck to paycheck...it works, but there isn't any type of security in it.