Last night I was working on the class video I'm making with pictures from throughout the school year, and thinking about the journey I've been on with these students of mine. I was also thinking about some incidents that happened during our field day activities earlier in the day. One involved a head-on collision of one of my girls during the relay race, and she wouldn't get off the ground until her teacher (me) was there to pick her up and walk her around. Another was the camaraderie I saw among all my kids during the games. And the most disturbing was a seriously unhinged woman who got angry with a couple of my kids, flipped them off, then started shouting obscenities at them and chasing them around telling them how horrible they were until they found an adult to get help from, then found me. (Who does that to kids, anyway?? I was soooo mad at that lady!!) Needless to say, my entire class was in tears after that and were scared to go outside to go home. (That is another entire blog entry, but I won't write it because I don't want to hate on the hater.)
Anyway, what I realized is that these are MY kids. Yes, I know they really belong to their parents. But they are also mine. Maybe the only kids I will ever have. I love them fiercely and would protect them with all that I have. It gives my life some meaning to know that I have the opportunity to influence children and share my love and my personality with them, along with teaching them to do long division and spell "precipitation". I have so much fun with my students and we have all grown up just a little more together this year.
| Ready for tug o' war - the only one we won - I think because we had the principal and custodian on our side this time! |
4 comments:
I love this! I wish more of my kids had the chance to enjoy you as a teacher.
I can honestly say that you are one of the most amazing mothers I have ever met. You set such an incredible example of unconditional love and devotion. I feel that love from you, your students feel it, and all your friends and family feel it. What a blessing you are to have in our lives.
You are an amazing teacher! The time and devotion you give to those kids is incredible. Your kids will remember you all their lives!
Everybody else already handed off the great compliments so I'll instead say, "Well done, my friend...well done."
Post a Comment