The beginning of my second week on the road was also the end of my time in family with Corydon. My sister and I found a very cool black-light miniature golf course to play on near our hotel for her last night before heading back to Utah. We were very impressed by the artwork that had been done by local school kids - some of it even 3D. I, unfortunately, lost the game to the superior mini-golf talent of my older sister.
 |
| About to be covered with spewing hot lava |
My niece was baptized during a beautifully organized program that she had orchestrated herself - including a duet sung by she and I. She is NOT shy about singing right out - and she loves church songs! It was a pleasure to sing along with her pure, sweet voice.
 |
| Sisters |

On Monday, I took off for more cross-country adventure. I toured Elizabethtown, Kentucky, founded in the 1700's. (I LOVE having a GPS - no fear of getting lost!) Then I stopped in Hodgenville, KY, the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln. He lived in Kentucky until he was 9. There is a monument built on his father's former land that reminded me of the one in Washington, D.C. Almost as importantly, I had THE BEST chocolate shake that I have ever had in my life at a local sweet shop.



That night, I stayed in Goodlettesville, north of Nashville. I was slightly disconcerted to discover my motel reminded me of the cheapest of run-down old places- and there were only about 3 guests the night I was there. But everything was clean, and I had a comfortable king-sized bed, so it was actually a pretty-OK place. I discovered that Shoneys restaurants are still around in the South - I remember them from my Church History Tour when I graduated from high school (back in the Dark Ages). The buffet was not nearly as exciting or great as I remember it, though. But my waiter was nice - no doubt feeling sorry for the lady eating all by herself.
The next day, I explored Nashville - the waterfront, Broadway, and BBQ at the Wild Horse Saloon.

Hands down, the

best BBQ I've had. It was a really cool venue that was mostly empty, but huge, with several balconies, a dance floor, and a stage. Apparently, the place to be at night. I also toured the Country Music Museum and Hall of Fame. Pretty cool displays with the history of country music. And, yes, the rumors are true.... there is a replica of the Parthenon (in Rome) in Nashville. I had to go see it to make sure it was real. Wow.
 |
In the pre-light show and fireworks era for concerts, singers added "pizzaz" and "excitement"
to their live shows with their outlandish costumes. Here are a few of the tamer examples. |

I finished the day out driving to Atlanta, Georgia. Once at my brother's house, I was greeted by enthusiastic family members and a "Welcome Show" the next morning designed and produced by my oldest niece, starring all of the kids. The songs had many repetitions of the lyrics "Aunt Nellie" in them, but I felt very loved.
 |
| Soap that we made! |
 |
| Not quite ready for heels like this....is anybody?! |
 |
| Waiting for food at the famous local chicken place. |

We have enjoyed hanging out, going out to eat and to the park and going shopping. Tomorrow I will once again hop in the car and head out for the last leg of my journey before turning West again. I have enjoyed seeing how the landscape changes as I move from state to state. I've seen some gorgeous scenery and met some wonderful people. Lovin' life!
1 comment:
Looks like so much fun! My whole family wants to strike out on the road now, too! :-)
Post a Comment