Saturday, October 27, 2012

Silver and Gold

I was a girl scout. Yes, really. I even enjoyed it, at least that's the way I remember it - probably because the activities and camps were all during the daytime - no sleeping in tents or using nasty, hole-in-the-ground toilets during overnight camping trips.

A song that I learned during my girl scout day camp years has been playing through my mind the last couple of weeks. Which is really weird, considering I never really liked the song - but what can you do? It goes like this:

"Make new friends, but keep the old-
One is silver and the other gold."

Even as a grade-school girl, I thought this was an unfair comparison, because gold is OBVIOUSLY much more precious than silver. I wondered which friend was silver and which gold - was the old one silver? Or the new one? I felt sorry for the friend that was silver.

Still.... I suppose I understood the message of the song, regardless of the unfair comparison. And it has probably been haunting me because I've been thinking about friends a lot lately. I have been blessed with incredible friends throughout my life.







Here are just a few of them....








 I have mostly taken for granted the fact that I have a lot of great friends, but in a conversation with my sister recently, she commented on how she's always been envious of my ability to make and keep friends. I began to realize that maybe this is one of the gifts I have been blessed with in this life. I suppose part of being close to friends is the fact that I have had more time to spend with friends in my lifetime, due to the lack of a husband and kids to make demands on my time.

But more and more lately, my closest friends are the "old" ones (sorry, guys - I'm not saying you're "old", just that I have known you a long time!) I have a lot of casual friends and acquaintances, but that deep "soul connection" doesn't seem to happen often. I treasure and hold close the loved ones in my life. One of the most difficult experiences I've ever had to this point in my life was the recent loss of a "gold" friend. With great love, unfortunately, comes great pain, and at times, loss.

In an attempt to find some measure of healing for my broken heart, I spent a few days during my Fall Break on a road trip with someone who has been an acquaintance of mine for the past few years. I have never spent so much 24/7 time with someone who wasn't already a good friend. From the beginning and throughout this trip, though, a solid "new friend" connection was made. We found we have a lot in common, despite our different journeys through life. In short, we bonded. So, although I will always "keep" my old friends, whether here or in the next life, I find that I can also continue to make new friends. And, perhaps, they are all silver and gold mixed in together. 


5 comments:

Gerb said...

I love this! You are a 'gold' friend for me, too. It is a blessing to me to be counted as one of your friends. And the feeling is totally mutual. Love you, Janelle!

Kristi said...

Hey! I'm in there! I'm in there!
Thanks!
You do have a gift for making and keeping friends.....cause you're such a good friend to others!
I hope you're healing and coming through everything. I miss being able to hang out and see you so much. I compare a lot of my "new friends" with you.....They've got lots to live up to! love you!

Mindy said...

Janelle,
I was touched deeply by this post. Thank you for sharing your memories both of happy times as well as those times of heartbreak, especially most recently. I know that for Jason you were one of his truest "gold" friends.
I hope that you found some measure of healing and peace on your journey and that you will continue to find healing in the future.
You are right in saying that those "soul connections" are difficult to come by and so are increasingly precious because of their rarity. I hope that you continue to be blessed by friends both "silver" and "gold."

Steve and Shauna said...

Awesome post! I started out laughing, then ended up deep in thought. (I laughed, I cried ... ) Great photos, too, btw. (Especially that one of you by the old wall--that's cool!)

Steve and Shauna said...

Just thought of something else. Anne of Green Gables: "Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think."