Saturday, April 18, 2009

Another Form of Elective Modern Torture


I just got back from getting acrylic fingernails. I tried them for the first time a few weeks ago, thinking it would be fun to actually have hard nails that wouldn't break easily. I didn't intend to keep them up. Well, until a couple of the nails broke off this week and I saw just how weak and ugly my own nails now look in comparison. So I returned to a nail salon, feeding the addiction and also buying in to the notion that every part of a woman's body must be artificially enhanced or beautified. I'm not proud of it, but there it is.

I sat there as the old nails were pried off, nails sanded, new nail tips glued on, nails sanded, acrylic painted on, nails sanded, topcoat painted on, nails sanded and buffed.... and I thought how ludicrous it was that I was sitting there for 45 minutes so that someone could put these long, hard tips on the ends of my fingers. And don't think it was painless, either. All that tugging and sanding and acrylic painting made my fingertips pretty tender. 

But I sure like my fingernails. Maybe no one else will notice them, but I like them. And I guess if I think it is worth it, then that is all that matters. I just haven't decided yet if the torture is worth it. On keeping this up every few weeks.... the jury is still out.

1 comment:

allison nadauld said...

I have to agree. So, before I got married I got my nails done every week--what with all the pictures and shiny ring you know. I loved it, and it was very addicting. What I didn't like though was how hard they pushed back my cuticles. Really, did they have to be so rough?