Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Grandparents Day


Today was "Grandparents Day" at my school. This was a first for me. I've heard of "Moms and Muffins", "Dads & Donuts", and "Parents and Pastries", but have never participated in this wonderful experience of Grandparents Day. It was a little stressful, but fabulous! My kids were so excited, they could hardly wait for 10:00 (instead of the usual question "is it lunchtime yet?" I got "is it time? is it time?" Of course, you know they meant time for those special people to show up.)

Grandparents, just like the general population, come in all shapes, ages, and sizes. But kids love them "just because". When one of them showed up at the classroom door, I could tell right away who they were there for - that child's face would totally light up and he or she would hurry to the door for a hug. The grandma or grandpa, or in some cases both grandparents, first sat by their special child's desk to help with a couple of math games. I know you are picturing those adults trying to fit into tiny little first grader chairs that are barely a foot off the floor, but don't worry - I had folding chairs for them. Then, after the math games was my favorite part. I asked the grandparents to introduce themselves and tell something they remembered about going to school. My first graders have never sat so still or listened so intently as they did to those introductions. We heard about weekly iodine pills, desks with built-in inkwells, colored chalk, desks bolted to the floor, and sack lunches. It was so fun!

One of my favorite comments from a student was that of a little boy as he was deciding what picture to draw in his card to his grandma. Finally he decided (quite loudly, in fact) that he would draw a picture of himself because, as he put it "I am so good-looking!". I am sure that his grandma thought so too.

I wanted to feel a connection to my own grandparents, too, and show the children that everyone has grandmas and grandpas - even their old teachers! I brought to class a favorite picture of my grandma and I, encased in a frame that I found a few months ago which perfectly describes how I feel about my grandma:
"A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you today just the way you are".
Thank goodness for all these wonderful grandparents who are "friends" to their grandchildren!

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

Glad you had a special grandmother whom you felt that connection with as well. She will always be your grandmother.