Friday, September 4, 2009

Watering
















I am a plant killer. Not that I murder them on purpose. I even try to remember to water them once in awhile. But each plant inevitably "kicks the bucket", so to speak. In trying to preserve the innocent plants of the world, I do not purposely buy any to keep in my house. But I have been given a few over the years that I now have to be responsible for. One of the times this week that I was running off to work or doing dishes or some such thing, I noticed my plants, as I do once in awhile - well, at least once every other week - and I started thinking about them. The plant in the green pot was given to me about 10 years ago by a friend who was moving across the country. The other plant was given to me by a friend who declared that this plant just would not die - and she had no room for it in her basement with it's brothers. Unfortunately, even these extremely hardy plants have begun to wilt. These are true, non-photoshopped images of my house plants today. Sad, huh?

So here's the lesson that occurred to me. There are a lot of things in our lives that we take for granted and "neglect" in a way. Not because we mean to. But because we get busy with our daily lives and don't even "see" those things. Then those things begin to wilt. Like my body, when I neglect to exercise. :P Or my spirituality when I neglect to read my scriptures or go to the temple. Or relationships when I neglect to spend the time necessary to make them grow.

The cool thing is, that as soon as we remember to nourish these things again, those that are most hardy, like my two plants that never completely die, perk back up. Some take longer than others to come back to life, but the most important ones always do.

3 comments:

theothermother said...

Amazing that plant is still alive and I didn't kill it before bequeathing it to you. Love the lessons learned!

theothermother said...

Amazing that plant is still alive and I didn't kill it before bequeathing it to you. Love the lessons learned!

Steve and Shauna said...

Love your deep thoughts and connecting them to plant life.