It began on Sunday night. My roommate had been busily baking all weekend and had plates of treats lined up to take to the neighbors. A wave of remorse hit me (you'll remember I previously admitted that I have had "Scrooge" associations this season). I commented to her that I should take things to the neighbors, too, but didn't know when I'd find the time or inclination to bake. So my wonderful roommate convinced me to come with her to deliver the treats. It was fun! And I felt the happiness of the Christmas Season begin to seep into my cold, cold heart.

So I would like to post my "Christmas Card" for the year. Cards or letters were one more thing that didn't get done this year. But I am considering a "New Year's" Card. We'll see how it goes.
This has been a year of changes for me. And for someone who craves stability, that has been a little challenging.
At the beginning of February, a fire started in the basement of my parents' home in Spanish Fork Canyon. My sister and her family were also living there at the time, and so my nearby family lost much of their earthly belongings. I helped sort through a myriad of burned and destroyed items that were carried out of the blackened interior of the house, my heart breaking at the memories those things represented. But my family members were safe - I had to keep coming back to that. A difficult decision was made to tear down this house that I grew up in and has basically been my "home base" for 30 years, instead of rebuild it, and my parents now own a townhome in Spanish Fork City. My sister and her husband recently bought a home in Salem. Through all the grieving, we have been blessed.
On June 1 my sweet grandmother passed away. She was almost 89 years old. I miss her still, every day, though she lived in Arizona and I didn't get to see her often. She and I were always very close, as we were a lot a like. She was my never-failing cheerleader and confidante. But through it all, I have come to appreciate like never before the blessing of having her in my life.
Later in June, my immediate family gathered for a family reunion in the Smokey Mountain region of Tennessee. It was a glorious three days, getting to be with all of my brothers and sisters and in-laws and nieces and nephews. With family in Georgia and Indiana now, it was a nice "change" to be all together for awhile.
I gained a fabulous roommate over the summer, whom I have lived with before - 4 different times! I guess we keep coming back together because we are both easy to live with, right? At this time in my life, if I'm going to have a roommate, she needs to be amazing, and she is! It took some adjusting but it has been really nice to have someone to talk to when I get home from work and someone who even cares if I come home or not.
I began a new job (again!) in August as a first grade teacher in Orem. The commute to Salt Lake was just a little too stressful for me, and I was happy to find a teaching job near my home in a year where a hundred people were vying for each teaching position. I absolutely love my new school, the principal, other teachers, and especially my "team" (the other first grade teachers). My students are challenging at times, but I love them and they are wonderful kids.
I have been acting as the "Single Adult Representative" for my ward for about a year and a half now, and have been enriched by the relationships I have formed with the singles in my ward. Although at first I balked at such a calling, it has been a blessing in helping me reach outside myself. But then, about 2 months ago, I was called as the "Assistant Nursery Leader". Now, this has been a challenging change for me. But I have enjoyed getting to know the small children and their parents. I come home from church exhausted, but happy, knowing I have been able to serve.
I am currently contemplating another huge change in my life. I know, I know - when will it ever stop, right? I have placed my lovely townhome up for rent and am planning to live in a basement apartment of my parents' for 6 months to a year. It will be different and take some adjustment, but I feel it is for the best.
You know, they say the only thing we can count on is that things will always change. That is so true! And I guess it is a good thing. This year I have grown in a lot of ways and realized what is truly important in life and who I can always count on. I have been blessed with an amazing family, wonderful friends, and a relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. During this season I would like to add my testimony to that of many others, that He lives and that He loves each one of us. We may not understand the path our lives are taking or why things happen the way they do or when they do. But if we are patient and have faith, it will at sometime be clear that it is all in our best interest. I don't always have perfect faith, but I am striving for it.
Merry Christmas to all and may all of you have a New Year filled with blessings and....change.
Love,
Janelle
Merry Christmas from the two cutest boys in the state and me! Candy cane, anyone?
1 comment:
I didn't get the chance to tell you how dang sexy you look! Dang Gina! Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment