Sunday, December 6, 2009

It's a Small World After All

My bishop decided to have a "Break the Fast" meal after church today. I have spent years in singles wards where we had this kind of meal every fast Sunday. But I have never experienced it in a family ward. It was actually pretty cool. And you know what? I had a couple of "small world" experiences.

First of all, when I mentioned I'm from Spanish Fork, a man across the table from me said that he grew up in Spanish Fork. When he said he graduated in 1999, though, I thought he wouldn't know any of the same people I do. But he said he had a lot of brothers and sisters and he said his last name. I looked hard at his face and then it clicked - he is the younger brother of one of my best friends in Junior High and High School! I've since lost track of her. How strange that I have been in the same ward as her younger brother for 2 years and didn't make the connection before today!

Heady with my successful connection-making, I tried for a second "small world" connection - I know exactly 2 people who grew up in Alaska. And Alaska is a big state, right? But what the heck - when you've been around the LDS church as long as I have, you know that long-shots often uncover previously unknown connections. So I asked my friend if he knew the other guy I know from Alaska. And he does! Not from Alaska, though - from the MTC. Wow. I think it is cool - look what happens when you take the time to get to know the people around you!

No comments: