I mean, if you think about it, a typical day includes reading groups, taking attendance, discussion the date, weather, and how many days we've been in school, settling arguments, tying shoes, writing lessons, handwriting practice, making copies, planning for the next day, teaching a science or social studies lesson, taking away scissors (don't ask), getting 22 kids ready to go outside, walking to and from the lunchroom, getting materials ready for the afternoon, reading aloud and coming up with great discussion questions or new vocabulary words on the fly, answering questions, trying to figure out if a student is really sick or just faking it to go home, math lessons and practice, recess duty, comforting an upset child, journal writing, picking things up off the floor, reminding a couple of students to clean off their desks, stamping papers, marking behavior charts, reminding those same students to clean up, getting a few students out the door with all their belongings, more reading groups, more lessons and clean up, then cleaning off my table and preparing for it all to happen again the next day. And when do I actually get to all the stacks of things that are waiting for me on the counter behind my desk? I'll let you know when it actually happens.
Before I know it each day, I am donning my coat, then shouldering my computer bag, purse, and lunch bag to walk out to my car at least 9 hours later than when I walked in that morning. It is pretty crazy - you have to be a multi-tasker and be able to do at least 3 things at once for sure. It is definitely a plus to see the day fly by and feel like you've accomplished a lot. However, I need to do something about that 9 hours. Try to somehow cut it down to 8. Hmmm...
1 comment:
I can totally relate! I'd like to cut them down to 9 if I could...
Post a Comment