Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Landlocked Doesn't Necessarily Mean Ocean Deprived

You don't have to wait for your next vacation to California or Florida to go to a pretty cool aquarium. There is one "just up the road", relatively speaking.
Yes! --Utah has an aquarium. My nephews and I discovered the Living Planet Aquarium today on our weekly date (and no, our summer "dates" are not all about the spoiling - I am investing.... these boys may be the ones to take care of me in my old age).

So, anyway, we made the trek up to Sandy, my expectations quite low because, well, I have recently been to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium in California. Amazing. And also, the admission price for the Living Planet Aquarium is quite low. But I was pleasantly surprised.
The boys were super excited - as you can see.
We spent 3 1/2 hours in the Aquarium, traversing the Utah, Ocean, and South America exhibit areas. There were a lot of interesting aquatic animals, including sharks, jellyfish, penguins, crocodiles, rays, coral, and many kinds of fish. We even got to pet the sting rays and starfish.
We arrived soon after it opened, and it wasn't very crowded. We were usually able to get right up next to the tanks.
My nephew took this picture of a tiger eel.

We ate in the little cafe there, and prices were not too bad. Plus the atmosphere was cool.
So, the verdict? Great bang for your buck. I recommend it.

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

It looks like a great outing, Nells! You didn't take them to Yogurtland? What is up with that? Oh, you wanted to take me along as well?

Rockage...