Sunday, July 17, 2011

All Night Party

A few years ago, 4 friends that I taught with and I attended a midnight show for the current Harry Potter movie (4?). It was great fun, but the best part was that it was a Thursday night... and we all had to show up for work the next day! Needless to say, we were a little tired but it was worth it - we still talk about that night. And of the hundreds of movies I've seen over the years, that is the one stands out. It was more than just going to watch a movie at a theater. It was an experience.


Those of us who are "Harry Potter lovers" have been anxiously awaiting the 8th and final movie of the Harry Potter series. This last movie seemed like the perfect opportunity to repeat the midnight experience.


A few of us started with "Harry Potter 7 part 1" on DVD. I got a little freaked out by Voldemort, as you can see... (he's the bald one on the screen who is missing a nose)...

Then we headed to the Provo Towne Center Theaters at about 9:45. I shouldn't have been surprised by the various lines of people throughout the mall, but I was. About half of the people were dressed up as various Harry Potter characters. There was a party atmosphere and the excitement was palpable.

Unfortunately, those who were toward the front of OUR line had gotten there at about 5 or 6 that evening. So, needless, to say, we did not get the best seats. Back row, corner- but we were excited to find 5 seats together. 

I loved the energy generated by thousands of excited fans coming together in one place for some fun and entertainment - and homage to the wizarding world we fell in love with. The party went on all night - as we came out of the theater, we saw the lines for the 3:00 a.m. -ish moviegoers. 



Luckily, we had plenty to keep us busy while we were waiting for our 12:10 movie to start. Kirsten had brought her wand - the unbeatable one. We all had to try it.   
Hermione Girl Power!
Julie was a little excited about the wand...



Great Belatrix look from Kirsten. All she needs is her "crazy hair"!














The movie was amazing - we couldn't even be bothered to be disrupted by passing around popcorn and M&M's. It demanded complete focus. The "end of an era" of Harry Potter movies began with a *bang* and I was glad I got to be a part of it. Giving up a little sleep can be remedied in a few days, but the memories will last forever. I love my friends!

No comments: