Thursday, July 7, 2011

Being Taken Care Of

I just spent 2 hours writing a paper to finish up my online 3 credit-hour class, and my brain hurts now, so I wasn't really planning to write a blog post. But then I read a blog post - someone else who endeavors to be the "favorite aunt", just like me, and I felt I have to share something that a friend and former mission companion shared with me a couple of years ago and I've thought about occasionally ever since.

This friend is also single and almost as old as me - well, she was a greenie and I was going home when we were mission companions, but that's beside the point - and she was sharing some stories about one of her nephews. Now, we favorite aunts DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT have favorites among our nieces and nephews. I love each and every one of the 12.9 of mine, just like you love each of your own kids (I've been told). But she said that she especially spoils this particular nephew because, in her words "He's the one who's going to take care of me in my old age." Brilliant!

I decided I needed to start cultivating that spirit in at least one, if not more, of my nephews and nieces, in case I have no posterity of my own. It's about time I started planning for things like retirement and....hey...just WHO is going to take care of me because I didn't start planning for retirement 20 years ago... I mean, what if my health doesn't allow me to be a greeter at WalMart?

This will take careful consideration and planning, you know. If I end up with Alzheimers or something I want to go to a good home - even if it's a nursing home.

I've found a candidate who just might be the One. His older brother can be responsible for his parents, leaving him to be responsible for his loving favorite aunt. Of course, he needs to grow up a little so I can make sure he'll take the responsibility seriously.




But, just in case, I'll keep spoiling them all. After all, with at least 13 nieces and nephews that love me, I could live out my old age in style!

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

More cotton candy and cookies now could go a long way in the future...