Then, later, as I was driving around running errands, I realized that I needed to take the advice on my own shirt. You can usually find good or great things in your life to focus on, right?
I was talking with a friend recently about the old Disney movie, Pollyanna. If you haven't seen this sugary-sweet gem, you really should. Anyway, in the movie, there is a little girl who finds herself in less-than-ideal circumstances. But she always looks on the bright side by playing "The Glad Game". She finds something positive about everything in her life.
This reminded me of a time that one of my mission companions and I played a version of "The Glad Game" on a particularly difficult day. We took turns and came up with things like "I'm glad no one will let us in their house because I need more exercise..." or "I'm glad our schizophrenic investigator hasn't attacked us yet..."
Yeah, sometimes it's a stretch to find something to be "glad" about.Here are the things I have come up with today to help me stay on The Bright Side:
So, maybe I want to lose a few...dozen...pounds and I will never in this lifetime be considered "skinny" - I'm glad I am healthy and can walk and run and dance...
So, maybe I have no husband or kids of my own -
I'm glad I have nieces and nephews who think the sun rises and sets at my command... and I'm glad that I never have to worry about the toilet seat being up unexpectedly...
So, maybe I don't get paid a lot in my job -
I'm glad I get to eat...
So I live in my parent's basement -
I'm glad I don't have to live in a cardboard box under a viaduct...
So, maybe I work a lot of overtime that I never get paid for -
I'm glad I have the freedom in the summer to work in bare feet with music blasting away...
So, maybe my washing machine is spin-cycle-challenged -
I'm glad I'm not pounding my clothes on a rock...come to think of it, I'm glad I HAVE clothes...
That's how it's done. Now YOU try it....

3 comments:
I'm so glad I have a friend that is glad...
Oh, and I finally watched that movie.
Oh my goodness. My mom made us watch that movie several times. Then she bought it for my kids too."The Glad Game" is her own personal favorite life philosophy.
I prefer your slightly sarcastic take on it. With my mom? No sarcasm or whining allowed.
Where's the fun in no sarcasm?
LOvE it!
Just yesterday I told Jason I was so glad I started having back pain last year because in my struggles to fix it I learned some key information to identify and get professional help for things on a few kids that could have lead to lifelong struggles. Now they don't have to worry about that. Young=quick fix. If I hadn't had my pain their unforeseen pain wouldn't have been squelched. Very grateful.
Post a Comment