Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Giant Among First Graders

I have two BYU cohort students (like student teachers, but this is their first experience with teaching) in my classroom for the month of March. One, Miss A., is pretty tall for a girl - about 5'10", and the other, Miss F., is a little shorter than me. The other day, as both girls were teaching, I overheard a conversation that I thought was pretty funny. (in the following, I am "Miss G."). It went like this:

One little girl said to Miss A. - "You're tall!"
Another child said, "And Miss F. is short. Is Miss A. taller than Miss G.?"
A third child, a very bright girl, said with authority, "Miss A. can't be taller than Miss G. because she is not a teacher, and Miss G. is!"

I guess being a teacher not only means you "know everything" but you are also taller than anyone else. When it is just me and the first graders, that is actually true. (:

1 comment:

allison nadauld said...

Cute observations. My Mary keeps getting older and taller confused. She always says I'm taller than Aaron (really I'm just older). If wisdom and height are connected, I'd be pretty dumb.