Saturday, July 10, 2010

Payson's Hidden Gems


Despite the fact that it is only about 15 minutes from where I grew up, I have never spent much time in Payson. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Payson High School and Spanish Fork High School were rivals. Or that I just don't ever drive South to find something to do. But this weekend, I spent some time in Payson and discovered a couple of very cool activities.

First of all.... Payson Pool. Wow. I took my nephews there for the first time on Friday, and it was like a mini Seven Peaks. Better than any other public pool I've been to in Utah Valley (and I think I've been to most of them). Take Note: a lazy river, 3 kids slides, 2 big
water slides, a huge splash/wading pool area with many fun things for kids to do, and a regular swimming pool with diving board (although I never went in this one).
Some other notable positives: You can bring in your cooler filled with drinks and food if you like, kids can have "floaties" on, you can bring your own water flotation devices for the lazy river, food is sold if you want it, large dressing rooms with many lockers, and friendly people.

Now for my favorite part: Children 3 and under are $1. Everyone else gets in for $4 each. That's it. Amazing, huh?

A couple of notes if you are going to go: If you want to leave things locked in a locker, you need to bring your own little padlock. They don't open until 1:00 on weekdays (we found this out the hard way) - 11:00 on Saturdays. Kids under 4 have to wear a swim diaper (even if they have been potty-trained for over a year and throw a fit because they are big boys and never have "accidents" - my nephew had one of said fits).

The best way to find it is to go on I-15 and get off on the first Payson exit. Turn left and drive for several blocks on Main Street. After you pass the city park, the pool is about 2 more blocks on your left.

I also discovered the annual Scottish Festival this weekend, because my brother-in-law was playing Celtic music and my sister was selling caps she made. I had no idea it was such a large event. The park was filled with Scottish-oriented booths, bagpipe-playing bands, Scottish bands, men in kilts, authentic Scottish games, entertainment, and spectators. It was noisy, exciting fun.
I guess I shouldn't underestimate my neighbors anymore.

2 comments:

Steve and Shauna said...

I think I need to attend this festival next year. Sounds awesome!

Kathy said...

Wow! Who would have known that Payson was such a hot spot. It sounds really fun.

Thanks for updating your blog. I love reading about the things that you are doing!