About 4 years ago, I hit the teacher burn-out wall. After much deliberation, I decided to take a leave of absence and spend some time exploring other career options. Luckily, when the school year ended, I still had a couple of months to look for a job before my teaching paychecks would stop coming. I looked into everything related to teaching that I was remotely qualified for. But about mid-July, I began to get worried I would soon be unemployed. So when a friend forwarded a posted job opening to me, the words "No experience necessary" jumped out at me and I applied immediately.
It was a few weeks and about 3 interviews later that I was offered the job of a software trainer for BrainStorm, Inc. I was woefully under-qualified and under-prepared for this new position. But I found out later that my manager, after interviewing me, told the boss she wanted to hire me even though I knew nothing about software - she just liked me. It was a small miracle I got the job at all - due in large part to her persuasion, of course. I kept it because I worked my tail off. :P
Nothing about learning all the ins and outs of various software programs came easily to me, and traveling around the country to train professional adults was miles out of my comfort zone. But I enjoyed the people at the small company and I gained a lot of experience and confidence in my ability to do incredibly difficult things. I also learned to rely more on the Lord in my job.
But the most incredible thing I gained from this unlikely pathway was lifelong friendship with two of the women I worked with. They are now an important part of my life and I trust their judgement and loyalty. We don't see each other often, but last weekend we were able to spend an evening together, catching up and reaffirming our relationship. I admire these women and I am blessed to know them.
| Don't they look fun? They are! |
No comments:
Post a Comment