Sunday, October 17, 2010

These are the Moments

Logan, Utah temple
Today, I drove 2 1/2 hours to be with a friend for her wedding.

I have always loved the songs from musicals. Especially the epic, life-defining, power-filled ballads. As I sat down tonight to attempt to capture some of my feelings from the day, a song from "Jekyll & Hyde" kept playing through my mind-
"This is the moment, this is the day- when I send all my doubts and demons on their way.
Every endeavor, I have made ever- is coming into play, is here and now- today!
This is the moment, this is the time, when the momentum and the moment are in rhyme...
Give me this moment, this precious chance-
I'll gather up my past, and make some sense at last!"

There are "moments" in our lives that stand out as those that are most defining. Today was one of those.

Melis and I have been close for several years now, through various dates and boyfriends, a husband and annulment (hers, not mine), unemployment, change of employment, agonizing singles activities, family drama, chocolate shakes at Chiles, heartbreaks and triumphs. She is an amazing woman who has great insight into life and relationships. She is beautiful, compassionate, and fun (and the true "dancing queen"!) I treasure her friendship and she is truly like a sister to me. I was grateful to be part of her "family" for her special day.

This has been a contemplative day for me. There is nothing quite like the moments in the temple sealing room. I am prompted to consider what is most important to me and I am reminded of family ties and to look at things through an eternal perspective. These times bring loved ones together, connecting them on a deeper level. And that is really what this life is all about.

1 comment:

Steve and Shauna said...

Congratulations to Melissa!