Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Still Sixteen

I have a secret. There is a sixteen-year-old inside of me. She IS me - a big part of me. I have her insecurities and immaturity - I wish I had her energy. This is her:
Sometimes I wonder if I will ever feel like "a grown-up". Sure, I can act like a grown-up. I can take care of nieces and nephews and be responsible for keeping 30 elementary school aged kids in line and safe all day long. I can play the part of a relief society president or sunday school teacher. I may even look like a grownup most of the time. But it's all an act.

My current church calling, a Young Women leader, is one of the most difficult church callings I've ever had. I'm supposed to be the leader, but I feel like one of the girls. I'm supposed to set a good example and hang out with their moms, but I have nothing in common with their moms. I watch the same TV shows the girls watch, wear the same kinds of clothes, and still talk about dating and cute "boys". I giggle with my friends and go to midnight shows the opening day of a movie I am excited for. I am caught between two worlds - the world of adults and the world of teenagers. And I guess I don't really feel like I fit into either one. I am still trying to find out how to relate to the sixteen and seventeen year olds without blowing my "cover"as an adult. I wonder if I will ever feel or act my age?

3 comments:

marci said...

I feel the same way! Awhile ago someone asked me how old I was and I almost said "eighteen." YIKES! I love being in YW too and getting to hang with the girls- they make you feel young again!

Steve and Shauna said...

I'm sure your YW girls are crazy about you because you relate to them, and that's awesome!

Teachinfourth said...

There are times in my classroom where I forget that I'm not 10...but don't tell my students that.