Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bells Are Ringing


A few people have asked about the play I am in, so here's a little info.

When I was a young teenager (I believe it is now called a "tweenie" or something clever like that), my dad was in broadcasting and would always bring home the latest technology gadgets for us to try out. One of these wonders was called, I think, a "laser disc" machine. It looked like a big DVD player and it played movies on giant, square, record-sized discs.

The movie we watched via the giant disc that I remember the most was a 50's musical movie. The love story and the vivacious blonde lead singing a sad "The Party's Over" in a bright red dress impressed themselves on my young, vulnerable, romantic heart. I loved it.

Fast forward about 20-odd years (give or take a few - not going to reveal my age exactly here, if you don't already know it) to a couple of months ago and my younger sister mentions to me that nearby Springville community theater is holding auditions for "Bells Are Ringing". All my vague memories of watching this fun musical-by-laser-disc came rushing back and I resolved to audition.

I've been wanting to get back into acting for a few years now. But there was always some excuse: irregular travel for work, weight to lose, too busy, too insecure, etc. It's hard to describe how being in a play makes me feel. It's fun - I love every single part of it. So I gathered my courage, practiced a song to sing, and drove to auditions.

Despite singing my song perfectly - in my car on the way over - nerves hit in front of the director and my voice shook a little, causing me to miss a couple of notes. Don't you hate that? When you know you could do better but you only get one shot? But she must have taken pity on me, because I scored a role in the ensemble.

The people in the play are amazing, the theater is tiny and old, the script and songs are fun and cheesy (hey- it's set in the 50's) and I think it is going to be a great production! If you are interested, here are the performance dates:
June 4,5,7,10,11,12,14,17,18,19,21,24,25,26

Not sure the time, but I'll post that later.

4 comments:

Dallas and Kirsten said...

I'm so excited for you! I'm also pretty jealous, but we will just focus on the proud part :) Maybe I'll be able to sneak away for a road trip in June! Love ya

marci said...

I am SO coming to watch you in the play! Congrats! You'll do great!

Steve and Shauna said...

That's a long run for community theater! After our Colorado trip, we'll have to head your way to see the play. What fun!

Kathy said...

Good for you!