Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Lemonade Stand

It was a good thing that the reason I stopped was NOT to quench my massive thirst with a delicious glass of lemonade.

I was driving in a Provo neighborhood today, when I noticed some kids at a lemonade stand. It only took me a second to decide to swing around to their side of the street and stop. A cup of lemonade for 25 cents - great deal, huh? I gave them 50 cents - it was a pretty big plastic cup (a mixture of pink and yellow lemonade, the girl pouring it out of the cooler said). I drove away with a smile on my face, only marred a moment by the one sip of "lemonade" I took (colored water would have been more accurate a description - I waited until I was around the corner to stop and water a lawn with it.)

I was reminded of the lemonade stand my sister and I set up when I was about 7. We lived in a cul-de-sac in Springville, and thought we would earn some fast money by selling lemonade. We didn't have a cooler - only a pitcher and some small paper cups. I remember my mom teaching us a financial lesson. You see, we didn't get to keep all our profits. We had to pay her back for the sugar and lemonade mix we used that she had bought. I have no idea how much money we made. Probably not much - our cups of lemonade probably went for more like 5 cents. But what a great memory! I wonder if there is any kid in the U.S. who hasn't had at least one roadside lemonade stand.

So my 50 cents bought more than the smiles on the kids' faces - it bought me a few good memories.
Wouldn't YOU buy a cup of lemonade from this cutie?! (:

2 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I nearly always stop to get the lemonade as well…like you, I will dump it when I get around the corner most of the time.

I'd buy some from you…for fifty cents even.

Shauna said...

Hmmm. I don't remember that. I guess it made a bigger impression on you than it did on me. ;-)