I have the very best girl friends in the whole entire universe - seriously! I know you think you do, but you wouldn't be right unless you have the same friends I do (and, come to think of it, most of you reading this probably do).
One of those friends lives in California and planned to surprise me by driving into town Friday and showing up on my doorstep Friday night at midnight. Unfortunately, she called Friday afternoon and told me she'd only made it to the Sierra Nevadas, then hit a snowstorm, and would have to turn back for home. Nevertheless, I was unbelievably touched by this demonstration of her love for me and knowledge of what that would mean to me.




Some of the other amazing women I count as friends spent the day with me yesterday. They know how important birthdays are to me, and they started planning a couple of weeks in advance.
That is how we came to be sitting in the movie theater for the first showing of "New Moon" on my Saturday birthday. Now, granted, this is not the movie some of them would have chosen to spend two hours of their lives involved in. But I am a romantic sap at heart and this is what I wanted to see for my "special day". Time for checking out of reality and involving myself in some teenage angst and, let us admit it, enjoying the sight of a some beautiful young men. I know I'm old enough to be a mother to the actors, but, hey, I feel 18 inside!
After that, we ate out at Texas Roadhouse, mocking the movie we'd just seen, listening to country music, chatting and eating shelled peanuts and delicious rolls (calories don't count on your birthday, ya know?) It was an awesome girl's day out
.
Two of my friends stuck around while I treated myself to a manicure with birthday money - a rarity and true luxury for me.
I didn't have plans for the evening. It would be a real let down to just go sit at home by myself. But, luckily, one friend had "reserved the whole day" for me, and she and I went to The Purple Turtle for grilled cheese sandwiches and shakes, then went to see another movie: "The Blind Side". It was a great movie and perfect end to the day.
Many other friends called or sent notes online, which I also greatly appreciated.
We each get one day a year that is all our own. I sure enjoyed mine! Thanks, everyone!
2 comments:
Happy birthday!!! That sounds like a perfect way to spend a birthday to me..... :)
I love you so much! Sorry again that I couldn't make it over that stupid mountain!! I am so glad that you have such good friends there taking care of you :) Happy Birthday! Your present is on it's way :) Love your stinkin guts!
Post a Comment